Monday, July 23, 2007

Crazy Weekend

Well, just as I had predicted it..."Its already Monday!" I'll try my best to recap the weekend.

Friday night: I stopped at my brother's house to pick up a tent and a video camera. I got home about 6-ish and had about a 15 minute window to get ready. By the time I got out of the shower, my Fiance's brother and sister-in-law were coming through the door. Then I heard his friends come in, too. So I got ready uber quickly and then we all headed out to a restaurant to have dinner. The show was to consist of 2 opening bands and then the main attraction: Run to the Hills. We finished up dinner and drove over to the little pizza place. We saw my fiance's brother in the parking lot and met up with him. He looked like he was ready to rock and I was excited to be there to listen and watch. We headed into the place and got a table. The 1st band was just wrapping up their set and then the 2nd band came on. WOW. Very LOUD. The lead singer was very...uh, different. Very low voice, and then it sounded like someone took a vice to his privates. But its OK. I think that is how they were supposed to sound. Also, they had a kid playing guitar who was very, VERY good! I had my little camera going, so I video taped a little of him playing. So then there was a break while the main band did set up. The lead singer for Run to the Hills was insistent that my fiance's brother wear a wig! He looked so funny with long, long black hair! I guess they had a disagreement in the parking lot about the wig, and I guess the lead singer won. It took them so long to start though. I guess one of the guitarist was taking a long, long time to tune up his instruments. SO they actually didn't start until 11pm! They had a set list of about 20 songs...SO...

They came on and I have to tell you, Johnny's Pizza draws a very "different" crowd. Very biker-y. And then there were the Iron Maiden fans mixed in there and that equals a very diverse crowd. I won't lie. I did feel a little out of my element. But I was overall very mesmerized at watching my fiance's brother play bass. He just looked so happy up there and very professional. I kept hearing about how good a bass player he was...but to witness it is a whole different story. You kind of feel like one of those giddy women who are like, "Omigawd!! I KNOW that guy!!!!!" I tried to tape as much as I could, but ended up only getting about 10 minutes worth. I tried to get close, but there were so many nutty fans and they were all so very close to the stage that I always had some shadow of some huge guy banging his head to nothing in particular. It couldn't have been top the music because he was off beat. And then there were the crazy women who were looking like they just came out of an Iron Maiden video shoot. And they were dancing to the same thing the guy who was banging his head to was...Not really to anything at all. There was a point where I tried going next to the speakers, but the music was SO loud, it shook my brain stem loose and I had a few moments of dizziness. LOL. So I backed off and tried standing on a chair. That may have been a mistake because when I turned the camera off to "stand-by," the lead singer for the 2nd band came over and was talking to the camera. He told me to shoot a picture of his shirt and then he lifted it to show a very skinny, very white stomach. BLEAH. He looked white as a ghost! But the band played on and soon enough, it was 1am. The pizza place closes at 1am, which is weird because I thought it closed at 2am. Oh, well. We all hung outside for a while, talking to my fiance's brother and just discussing the performance. It was really weird, but as people were coming out, I saw my fiance's OTHER brother (his younger one, who was in the Marines), yelling at some guy - calling him a Nazi...I at first thought that he was joking around with the guy because I thought maybe they had chatted while inside. But I guess at the beginning of the show, while the guys were tuning up, he grabbed the mike and was screaming Nazi things. So I guess this rubbed my fiance's brother the wrong way...I never saw him yell that way. And when I realized that he was not messing around, I thought it was kind of scary. I had never seen him raise his voice like. Suddenly I realized that he was not someone I would ever want to make upset! (^_~) Anyways...the night ended around 2am. We got dropped off and then chatted for a while before turning in. My fiance and I slept on the air mattress we purchased and my soon to be brother-in-law and his wife slept in our bedroom. A few hours later, my fiance got up so he could go to his eye appointment. I went next door to D & D and got some coffee for our guests, since we don't drink coffee! I was going to cook eggs and potatoes and realized that it may be too much for everyone to eat. So I went back to D & D and bought donuts and muffins. So, NOW...

Saturday: We all headed over to my fiance's best friend's parent's house around 11:45am. We were the first ones there! I wish I could go into some elaborate story about all the things that happened, but to tell you the truth, it was just your typical cookout. Lots of friends, lots of people you didn't know, lots of food and lots of fun. I genuinely like all of my fiance's friends and family. I think they're all pretty great - I can only hope that they think the same of me and that my fiance things the same of my friends and family. It was just one of those rare occasions where friends and family collide. Both sets of my fiance's parents showed up, and his 3 brothers. Typically, it is one or the other - all friends or all family. We also had great weather. I have a very weird burn. Some on the back of my neck, and some on my arm. One arm is now darker than the other. I'm hoping that next weekend, I can take care of that (but that'll be another post). Anywho. We actually didn't leave until a little before nine. I like the fact that we stayed outside the entire time. Those days are great because that's what summer is supposed to be! So in retrospect, I had a really good time. One guy we know went to Alaska and he showed me some pictures. I swear, it is so beautiful there that every picture you take is worthy of a screen saver. =] He stayed there for 3 weeks, visiting his brother. Some day, I'd like to go to Alaska. Just to see what it is like. The mountains are just so beautiful and huge! And the water there looks so clean and refreshing - cold, I'm sure, but also refreshing. So we got home about 9-ish and settled in to watch "Blood and Chocolate." We only got to watch 1/2 of it though - we were a little too tired to make it through...

Then came Sunday: Just your typical lazy Sunday. We went to the Rockingham Mall and then food shopping. How exciting, right? =]

So that brings us back here to Monday. Bleah. Hope this week goes by fast, even though it is a 4 day week! =]

1 comment:

Hanh said...

I just realized you had this post up, and damn you had one busy weekend. Sounded fun though.... and how do you manage to remember and type all of that at 6am?!