Friday, July 20, 2007

Finally Friday

Well, its finally Friday. *Whew* Made it through another week. But I can guarantee you that come Monday, I'll be asking myself, "where the heck did the weekend go?" Eh, its OK. That's just how it goes, right? Anyways. Last night driving on the way home from work, it was pouring rain (by the way, I drive a Saturn VUE (http://www.saturn.com/saturn/vehicles/vue/overview.jsp). And it was one of those soaking rains that keep you from ever feeling dry. I woke up this morning and it was all foggy outside. I can only hope that it doesn't rain tonight. But as I was saying, it was pouring rain and I couldn't exactly see if there was any lighting. But I was using my blue tooth headset (http://www.motorola.com/motoinfo/product/details.jsp?globalObjectId=111) talking on the phone with my best friend...when there was this weird beeping noise. I said, "did you hear that??" and she said, "no!" So I said, "uh, I think I better end this conversation..." and she said, "no, I think you'll be fine. You're using your headset, right?" Now, I love and trust my best friend very much. But you know, I just didn't feel like getting electrocuted at that point in time. So if you are reading this right now, let me say: I'm sorry. =] Anyways. I don't think that I've really mentioned my friend, have I? Well...

We met when we were at UMass Amherst (http://umass.edu/umhome/index.php). *sigh* The good 'ol days. We were both staying at Knowlton Hall in Northeast, which is the engineering, nerds and dorks section of UMass. Knowlton is also an all girls dorm. When I filled out my application to live on campus, I don't remember checking off that box. So I don't know how the heck I landed in that dorm. To top it off, I was on the 4th floor and had TWO other room mates. Yes, that's right, I was in a triple. One of them was Japanese and the other was Vietnamese (she was from Worcester). Both talked really loud, too. Don't get me wrong. They were really nice people. Its just that I was hoping to get a quiet room mate, you know? So anyways.

One night, I went down to the lounge area and saw my friend sitting there watching television. I think it was either the Monday night or Tuesday night line up...So we ended up talking and I was discussing my room mate issue. And she told me about her room mate issue (which was worse compared to mine). From there, we became friends. She actually took me back to Worcester to stay with her for a few weekends. She had relatives/friends that would come and pick her up, so she often asked me to come along, as well. Her parents are so very nice. I am sure that they thought I was weird because all I would eat was white rice...You see, my friend is Vietnamese and therefore, her mom cooked Vietnamese food - or Asian food. I'm just not a very adventurous person when it comes to food and can sometimes be scared of trying new things...So in saying this, I hope all those times I was not actually insulting them. =T Anyways. For the first time in my life, I was introduced to the Asian lifestyle. I never knew many Asian people - most of the people in my high school were either white or adopted Asians like me. It was pretty cool to be in a different environment. Her parents were so welcoming and so nice. It was like having a 2nd pair of parents! =] So anyways.

After the first year, I think, we got to share a room in Knowlton. The following semester, Hanh stayed home, so I was left on my own. I never got a new room mate, so I was actually living in a single. It was lonely and weird because...well, I'll leave that alone in case some people were to ever read this. But the following Fall, we moved to a different dorm, Johnson. We got a corner room, which was actually quite large. And at the time, I had gotten myself a boyfriend. So all of his friends started hanging out in our room. Seems our room was the place to be and soon enough, people were coming in without knocking! Sheesh! So needless to say, after one year of living in that room, I didn't come back. I was too wrapped up in having a boyfriend and having a good time that I let my studies slip. Its no ones fault but my own and if anyone ever asked me what I wanted to change in my life, I have to say that's the only thing. So that was the end of my UMass Amherst life. I went on to UMass Lowell and eventually got my degree, but you know, if it weren't for UMass Amherst, I wouldn't have met my friend.

And she is one of the greatest people you could ever meet. Funny, beautiful, thoughtful, caring, and smart. She has since moved away, though, and you know what? I miss her. We talk on the phone and chat and email, but you know, nothing quite fills the void of those nights sharing a room when you can just turn your head and start talking about whatever. Or go to dinner at 4pm at the dining commons and talk about EVERYTHING. Or walk to the campus center and get an ice cream on a warm fall night or a warm spring day (you notice how that doesn't happen in the cold of the summer or frost of the fall?) *sigh* There are times when I really miss those days. I think mainly it is because I tend to keep only a few very special people in my life. So when one of them moves away, the void is impossible to fill...

So there you have it. An introduction (brief, I know) of my best friend. Why don't you pop in on her and say hello? (http://dyshanhics.blogspot.com)

Ta Ta for Now!

1 comment:

Hanh said...

lol. woman, i can't believe you just summarized our umass life! I don't even remember what we talked about on that first night, all i remember was i was trying to guess your ethnicity! and you were like, nope, nope, nope. You possibly could've been the first Korean person i met. Also, i remember 2a.m. drives to dunkin donuts!!